Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Start Afresh

As I sit at my desk and look over my mind's shoulder, I see a long train of events strewn out behind me. Some are bright with tears, others dimmed from remembrance. Some glow with warmth and love, and a few are chilly with an icy heartbreak.

But all of them share two things in common.

One is that they all happened to me.

The other is that they're all behind. Past. Done. Gone.

My eyes steal a glance forward.

Who knows where 2014 will take me?

When this new year comes to a close and I look back again, what kind of memories will I see littering the path behind me? What kind of new horizons will I be looking at?

Only time... And my Father... will tell.



The Year in Review

In January, February, half of March I was in Thailand, teaching English to Karen children, learning a strange language, eating hot chilis and riding on top of the Steck's station wagon. So much to miss...

In March, I flew my first international solo flight from Bangkok to Seattle, where I was reunited with family after almost 7 months. 

In April, I turned 20 years old on the same day that I gave my mission report. A friend surprised me by showing up that day as well. 

I got to see this sunset at Haystack Rock in April, too. 

 In May, I took a road trip with my brother and dad down to Redmond/Bend, Oregon area, helping a client to drive a plane to his new hangar. This was the first snow I'd seen since two Christmas's before.

 
We also welcomed Haley back from the Mission Experience in May. We were all just as excited as the little guy in the background.

May was also the Pathfinder Fair. 

In June, Haley and I made a trip to Walla Walla and spent some time with Emily Heagy before she left for Cambodia... 

...and right after that, we went to Young Disciple Ministries and volunteered for a week. 

We left straight from YD on a mission trip to Tok, Alaska, with Fountains of Life Ministries... 

...and got back in July, just in time for a rousing Inchelium reservation firework show. 

In July, I volunteered at Young Disciple Camp... 

...for week one... 

...And week two. 

Right as YD finished, the staff asked me to stay on to help finish some of their projects and God opened the doors for me to return as a graphic design intern. 

In August, I went on a hike with Jessica and Jenny and Brian, all the way to the top of Sherman Peak: my highest climb to date, I think. 

In August, Haley, Sabrina and I (with the help of many friends) put on a benefit concert to raise funds to go to Thailand... 

...and waded through a cold river in our spare time. 

A short time later, we also  gave an Alaska Mission report at the Castle Rock SDA church.

We also made some new friends in August: the Rittenour family stayed with us for almost a week, since Caleb was planning on coming to Thailand with us and he helped with the benefit concert we did at Castle Rock...

...I also drowned my phone in the ocean in August. Yes, that's what my dad is holding. 

In September, I moved back to YD. 

In October, Jessica, Kezzia and I went on a spur-of-the-moment backpacking trip and had an amazing time. 

In October Grandma Jo passed away, and I went home for her memorial, took Cortney with me, and had a beautiful 5 days home--even though we were missing Grandma. 

October also held a massive blessing from a friend back home. 

In November, I made the trip home for Thanksgiving and got a picture-perfect shot at 6 in the morning. 

In November, I went to the Zoolights with my family... 

...and paused mid-week to snap pictures of the ever-changing driveway... 

...and went to hear Handel's Messiah in an old Presbyterian church... 

...and celebrated getting another round of magazines off to press with a purple feast. 

In December, I went home for Christmas, had a beautiful time with family and dear friends, and yesterday I drove home, over icy-slick roads and arrived just in time to hold down the fort while everyone goes to GYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment