Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

All except one

One touch away, and it popped onto my little phone screen.

I read.
I sat back.
And I thought. For a very, very, long time.

"As soldiers show their scars and talk of battles when they come at last to spend their old age in the country at home, so shall we in the dear land to which we are hastening, speak of the goodness and faithfulness of God who brought us through all the trails of the way. I would not like to stand in the white-robed host and hear it said, "These are they that came out of great tribulation: all except one." --C.H. Spurgeon

I don't like pain. I don't like struggles. Or hardships. Or heartbreaks.

To date, I've experienced all...and then some.

I've shrunk from pain all my life--and then, two years ago, a close friend told me to embrace my pain. I couldn't fathom it at the time, nor could I understand. But it's never left me. And when I read Spurgeon's comment on gaining Heaven as the only one who hadn't felt pain before, it suddenly clicked.

Just like exercise and discipline are what fit you for running the race, and ultimately receiving the prize, so hardships, heartbreaks, pain and trials are what fit you to live as a Christian in this world and gain Heaven at the last.

An embrace is an expression of endearment, acceptance, love, friendship.

Can you make friends with your hardships?
Love your pain?
Accept--with all its ugliness--your heartbreak?
Call your trials dear?

This is what Christianity is about, after all.

It's not so much the throne as it is the thorn.

There's always something new to learn, isn't there?


No comments:

Post a Comment