Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Of darkness and the Light

"Oh, so you're not going?"

"No-o-o-o... I think I'm just going home. See you tomorrow!"

I edged toward the door of the multipurpose building, waving goodbye to my co-workers. Business meeting didn't appeal to me, seeing as how I had some things to do at home. I'd brought my car, anyway--my "Heidi-mobile" as Tony called it the other day.

As I stepped outside, it hit me: I had no flashlight, and I had to walk all the way from Sky Lodge out to the big YD sign, then turn and walk all the way down the long driveway to my office...in the dark. I looked for a moon, but it hid its face. A few stars glittered, but they didn't shed any light on my feet.

When I was small, I was afraid of the dark. There are times when I like it, like during flashlight tag--but even today, being alone in the dark unnerves me just a little. Especially when it's so dark you can't see anything. And I literally couldn't see a thing.

I tried to visualize the road in my head, stepping with confidence. I probably looked like I knew what I was doing, but I couldn't see a thing. I felt silly as I walked past the little white car in the driveway, just getting ready to leave.

A few more steps and the headlights flipped on. Ah! I could see! I walked faster, trying to get as far as I could while I had some light. But soon enough, the car sped on past me and disappeared, leaving me in perfect blackness again.

I'd made it to the sign. But I still couldn't see. I shuffled my feet a little, trying to feel my way down the little slope in the road that I knew I would fall on if I wasn't careful. Bit by bit, I made it, and then kept walking.

A few more steps and I heard another car: Tony and co. came down the hill, headed for the business meeting. The silver van paused at the bottom of the road from the kitchen, and they must've wondered what I thought I was doing, marching away down the road without a light. The glow from their headlights got me safely another 20 feet before they, too, crunched away down the road and disappeared.

No more cars would be coming. I knew that. I walked ahead into the darkness, not being able to see my feet, not able to see anything...but wait!

Way down the road, I could see a light. The porch light on my office turns on when it gets dark, and I fixed my eyes on it. Now it didn't matter where my feet went: as long as I kept my eyes on that light, I knew I'd get there alright.

A few times my eyes strayed to the thick ebony shades along the invisible sides of the road, and my mind ran rampant with the thought of what could be out there... No, no. Eyes on the light, eyes on the light....

And suddenly, there I was. My car sat in the drive, the porch light cast a welcome pool of light all around and I stepped inside the office, the journey finished.

Profound? I think so.

Keep on walking, friend. It may be dark right now, but God always provides lights along the way--and a Light at the end that won't ever fade into the distance. Keep your eyes on the light.

When darkness wraps around me: 
shadows, darkness, night;
I'll step ahead in confidence,
my eyes upon the Light.


1 comment:

  1. I don't know how many times I've done exactly that (usually the other way around)! Light is a wonderful thing. :) (so does you being at the MP building mean that we get magazines soon? :D)

    ReplyDelete