Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Watch

Time and again over the past week or three, I've opened Blogger and clicked on the "Create Post" button.

And time and again, I always stare at the empty space...and close the tab.

There's things I want to say.
But I have reasons not to.

There's things I could say.
But I decide they aren't necessary.

There's things that maybe I should say.
But I don't.

So, instead, I sit back and watch.

I watch one friend arrive in a foreign country and immerse herself in culture, in people, in living love.
I watch another return from a different field and berate herself for adapting so easily again to the American way of life--vow to return.
I watch one lead young people to the foot of the cross while accomplishing scholastic feats I would never dare.
I watch some speak words of hope, of challenge, of binding the wounds--and, in turn, see the countless numbers responding like parched souls in a desert.
I watch some give their very lives for the cause of Christ.
I watch some discovering who they are.
I watch others stretching their wings, gaining long-lost confidence.
I watch some grieve.
I watch some rejoice.
I watch some triumph.
Others find peace.
Others lend a helping hand.

As I see what those around me, around the world, are doing, it silences me.

I look within, at my own little life, in my own little corner, touching few with the ripples my pebble creates; and I feel as though I'm missing out on something special.

I'm busy. I'm working. I'm learning, growing, laughing, loving... but....

I feel empty.

I feel as if my own selfish interests have been swallowing up my joy, piece by piece.

So I watch in silence.

To all of you whose lives I've been privileged to watch, keep up the good work. You are inspiring weighty pondering.

And, when you think of it, say a prayer for those who are simply watching.

It could mean the difference in eternity.


No comments:

Post a Comment