Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Last Step

"It is the last step that wins; and there is no place in the pilgrim's progress where so many dangers lurk as the region that lies hard by the portals of the Celestial City....It is when Heaven's heights are full in view that hell's gate is most persistent and full of deadly peril."

Driving through the silent night, we talked. Our thoughts tended to martyrs, Christians who gave up their lives for the love of their Lord. We talked about the many who have gone before us--those many who would've given ANYTHING to live in the day we do--and how nothing daunted them. 

And we talked about what's coming. How the horrors of the past are but hollow when compared with the future. 

She said it. "But you know, pain only can get so bad. There's a point that it just can't hurt any more than it already is."

I didn't find myself convinced. My pain threshold is low: and my natural self quivers at the word martyr. I said as much, but my chauffeur only said that that may be our lot. And God would see us through if it was.

It was after that that something impressed me to start reading through the Great Controversy in my quiet time in the morning.

As I've walked next to Wycliffe, denounced pomp and apostasy with Huss, and walked toward the stake with Jerome, I've begun to slowly realize that she's right.

On top of that, I've begun to question my love for my Savior. Am I willing--no, not willing, eager--to lay down my life? Do I love Him that much?

The Desire of Ages is next on the reading list. I think I need to know Him more.

It is the last step that wins. 

And if you take that last step in flames--or pain--what difference? 

You just have to take the step. 

And a step only lasts as long as a step can. Because there are more steps to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment