Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

How many miles?

As the sanctuary began to empty, I looked around. Kezzia looked at me and then leaned in. "I think we should find other people. Nobody's getting up or doing anything."

I agreed, and she skittered off to see if Jenny had someone. As I turned around, Grandma Phyllis caught my eye. She motioned to me that she'd like to be my partner, and I nodded with a smile. I offered to get the supplies first.

As I came back with a basin and a towel, Grandma finished pulling off her thick socks. She said a few things to me that I don't remember now. I was too busy noticing her feet.

She has tiny feet. And honestly, they aren't exactly pretty. Her toenails are a little discolored, her once-tiny feet have swollen around the ankles, and in some places her veins show through thin skin. But that isn't what struck me.

How many thousands of miles have these little, scarred feet traveled for the love of God?

Grandma used to live in Korea. She taught there, was a missionary. She's been to Africa, and who knows where else. She's raised at least 3 children of her own. How many thousands of miles has she walked because of the love she has for her Lord and those dear to her?

And as I dipped her feet in the water, I wondered. How many miles have I walked for God? For those I love?

I felt humbled when this stooped, aged bit of humanity bent to wash my young, inexperienced feet. And again, I questioned. How many miles?

And then, when she held my strong, young hands in her frail, withered ones and prayed for me... I pled. Lord, help me to walk farther.

How many miles have you walked?




No comments:

Post a Comment