Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

God's Spotlight


Last week was insane. And that's all there is to it.

I've been a staff member at YD camp this year, loving it and struggling at the same time. A swollen hand, an accidental ibuprofen overdose, a camper taken in to see a doctor at the hospital (no, nothing serious: just a check)... All has combined to make a wonderful, but trying, experience.

I think I know why, too. This year, before coming to YD, I really saw the amount of good I could do here, if the Lord was working in me. I felt the weight of that responsibility... and I prayed earnestly before coming that I would be a light.

Obviously, someone wasn't happy with that.

But Someone else was. And He's been carrying me through, one step at a time.

There's days when I faint and fall at His feet in tears. I can't do this anymore! 

But those are the days when He smiles. Oh yes: through Me, you can. On your feet, brave soldier... 

I love my God.

And He loves me.

I know He loves me because there are times when He speaks to me in the midst of trials. Times when His voice is light a patch of sunlight in a darkened forest. Times when my deepest distress... becomes His greatest lesson.

---------------------------

It was one of those nights when everything weighs on you. Perhaps you've lived through a few of those. The kind when even the fresh air seems suffocating and relieving at the same time. 

No, there wasn't a whole lot wrong. I was healthy (finally), working for God... But discouraged in many ways. I scribbled in my journal that night, detailing my feelings and thoughts in a frustrated way. When I laid down the pen and placed head on pillow, that feeling of silent, unblinking despair still hung about the corners of my cabin.

The next morning dawned brighter, as mornings always do. I showered and pulled out my new EGW devotional book, From the Heart. I opened to the date's thought. I blinked at the title and then bowed my head to pray first.

Lord, I want You to speak to me. From what I can see, this entry is about reverencing You, and I think I'm fairly reverent already. No, I'm no perfect--but I don't see how this could apply to me. Nevertheless, bless me in a special way...

I read. I closed the book. I thought. 

It was about Moses, more specifically about giving true reverence to God. It was a good thought... But I felt like it was incomplete. Something at my shoulder was urging me to reach out and pick up my beloved little pocket Bible and search for something.

I failed to bring a concordance this year. So I flipped to the meager one at the back of my Bible and began looking for words that were parallel to reverence. 

The only one similar I found was respect. And only one verse in the 4 given talked about respecting God. So, I looked it up.

It was in Isaiah 17, a good verse, but still nothing had bitten my nose. I squinted at the cross-references and began to flip to them. Each one, good... 

That's when I came to the last cross-reference of the only verse I could find referenced that talked about respecting or reverencing God. That was the one: the beam of light.

"Therefore I will look unto the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me" (Micah 7:7, italics supplied).

I wrote this in my journal:

It seems that part of respecting God--reverence--is trust Him implicitly. Knowing that He will accomplish everything on time and in time; knowing that He will hear my prayers and answer in the best way possible. Apparently, waiting is a part of reverence.

I want to reverence God. By reverencing Him, I show Him I love Him. And by waiting, I reverence Him. Therefore, by waiting and trusting, I am showing God I love Him.... If I want to love God, to reverence Him, I must trust His plan and wait for that plan to unfold.

Needless to say, it flew in the face of the previous night's despair. Light filled the forest and shone brightly upon sweet truth I'd failed to see in my despair. 


I'm swallowed by this feeling of littleness...

That He can take a shadow and turn it to a song...
That He rewrites the melody when all the tunes go wrong...
That He can take a flightless bird and teach it how to fly...
That He can put a rainbow center-stage in stormy sky.

I'm convinced. God has a huge spotlight up in Heaven somewhere. And it's on mornings when we need it most that He shines it on exactly what we need to hear.

Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment